This no-bake apple crisp is designed to be an afterthought of a dessert. Something so simple it’s hard to think of a reason not to make it. So on your next camping trip, treat yourself to something sweet.
What’s really nice about this recipe is that it uses a lot of common camping ingredients: apples, granola, cinnamon, brown sugar, and bourbon. These are things you might already be picking up anyways and can be repurposed to make dessert.
To start, preheat a cast iron skillet over a campfire or camp stove while you cut a few apples into thin slices. Toss them into the skillet and let them cook down until they start to get soft and release some liquid into the pan. Then add your brown sugar, cinnamon, and a shot of bourbon. Mix together over the heat to burn off the alcohol and reduce the liquid slightly. Once the liquid starts to thicken, remove from the heat, sprinkle your favorite granola on top, and you’re done… almost.
While you could serve this dessert on its own – we highly recommend leveling up to the “a la mode” version. We recently paired this apple crisp with a few scoops of So Delicious Dairy Free coconut ice cream. Not only does the smooth coconut play well against the apple cinnamon flavor, but the coconut base means the ice cream is completely dairy free. That’s great news for vegans and lactose intolerant individuals.
- 2-3 apples, sliced ¼” thin
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granola
- In an 8″ or 10” cast iron skillet, over medium heat, saute the sliced apples in a bit of oil or butter until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, bourbon, and sugar, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens and the apples are tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle the granola evenly across the top. Enjoy straight from the skillet or serve in individual bowls with a generous scoop of So Delicious coconut ice cream!