A Carbon Neutral Program
Everything we do in our daily life either impacts the environment in a positive way or a negative way. It is as simple as that. At Escape Adventures, we understand this and take it very seriously. Escape Adventures is value-based and mission-driven. We work hard to be socially and environmentally responsible. We carry these values because we care about you, our employees, the environment, and the future generations.
What is the big deal about pollution and global warming?
"Carbon dioxide and other gases warm the surface of the planet naturally by trapping solar heat in the atmosphere. This keeps our planet habitable. However, by burning fossil fuels and clearing forests we have dramatically increased the amount of carbon dioxide in the earth's atmosphere and temperatures are rising. The vast majority of scientists agree that global warming is real, that it's already happening and that it is the result of our activities and not a natural occurrence. The evidence is overwhelming and undeniable. We are already seeing changes. Glaciers are melting, plants and animals are being forced from their habitat, and the frequency of severe weather is increasing" (SGW.ORG).
What is ESCAPE ADVENTURES doing about this problem and how will your trip help to fight the problem?
Well, first of all, except for your air travel, we've already taken the steps to make your trip environmentally sound (carbon neutral). Here's how:
- Support Vehicles. We are the first (and only) outfitter in America that uses support vehicles powered by vegetable oil. Our diesel engine vehicles run off the clean burning and naturally renewable oil of plants. The emissions created are only a fraction of what gasoline would produce. In addition, the oil we use is waste oil gathered from restaurants that would otherwise be sent to landfills. Finally, any gas engine vehicles that we still have in service, have been offset with greentags.
- Products we use - and don't use. We make every effort to use only 100% recycled paper, purchase local, organic foods, and support value-based businesses who share our same philosophy.
- Waste Generation. We recycle more than 90% of the waste generated on each tour. The remaining 10% is offset with greentags for the purchase of renewable energy and energy efficiency projects.
- Electricity Consumption. Escape Adventures has committed solar cells to run its Moab based operations and bicycle shop as well as its Las Vegas based bike tour warehouse. This means that every e-mail, light, power tool usage, hot shower, and just about any other energy use, comes from the sun. Not a pound of carbon dioxide is released into the air as a result.
- Employee Travel. If our employees need to travel to a tour area, we offset the air travel carbon emissions by prepaying for greentags and specifically try and plant trees for each flight.
- Employee Programs. Currently Escape Adventures has a "ride to work" program in effect. At our Las Vegas location, employees are given a $5 per day bonus NOT to drive a car - thus reducing vehicle emissions. This makes the air cleaner so that your lungs are fresher for the tour!
- Freshwater Consumption. Escape has measures in effect to reduce the consumption of freshwater. This includes using low flow faucets and toilets, and avoiding any water-wasteful activities such as watering grass. Escape Adventures brings its own water on all tours where freshwater is limited to avoid impacting local water sources.
- Ecosystem and Biodiversity Conservation. Escape Adventures follows the strictest field policies to reduce any possible negative impacts on the ecosystem. This means we plan trips to avoid areas where wildlife may be disturbed, and never allow animals to reach our food. We remove all litter we come across, and our guides are knowledgeable about local plants and wildlife and practice Leave No Trace camping ethics.
- Indigenous Communities. Escape helps preserve social norms and cultures of local indigenous communities by making philanthropic contributions, providing opportunities for community development, and ensuring clients are always briefed on culturally-appropriate behaviors. In addition Escape Adventures helps indigenous communities by providing economic benefits with donations, visits to cultural attractions, and support for the arts and sports activities.
How can YOU help to fight the problem?
Well, it's actually pretty simple. Visit our carbon calculator to calculate your personal impact and see how much CO2 you produce each year. If you want to make your trip completely carbon neutral, just calculate your flight distance. Your small investment will go to Sustainable Travel International who will ensure that for every ton of carbon dioxide you emit, a ton of carbon dioxide will not be released into the atmosphere. At the same time, by offsetting your carbon use, you'll be supporting renewable energy and energy efficiency projects. And you can feel really good about what you're doing!
There is no doubt we can solve this problem while still enjoying everything life has to offer. Escape Adventures and you have the power to make a difference!