Gateway City - Las Vegas
Vegas is a popular international destination and getting here should be no problem. Flying to Las Vegas is often the most inexpensive option. Please visit the Las Vegas Airport website (McCarren International) for more information about airlines and ground transportation.
There is a wealth of information out there about Las Vegas accommodations. Here are a few websites that consolidate your options:
ATTENTION: Our meeting point for all Las Vegas multi-day tours is the Elements Hotel in Summerlin. This is also the pick-up hotel for an Escape Adventure shuttle to St. George or Panguitch, UT.
Leaving your car in Las Vegas
Most of our meeting spots are at hotels that allow guests to leave their vehicle there while on tour. If you do not plan on being a guest at the hotel you should contact them ahead of time to find out regulations and possible fees associated with leaving your vehicle.
Other sights in the area
We couldn’t possibly list all of the sights and activities in Las Vegas. So for information about the strip we’ll leave it to the experts.
Las Vegas also offers world class rock climbing and hiking, just a few miles outside of the Strip. The Red Rock National Conservation Area is just a short drive and offers a break from the glitz and glam of the strip.
Cottonwood Valley offers some amazing riding for mountain bikers. Las Vegas Cyclery offers day tours and maps.
Mount Charleston - Beat the heat... less than an hour's drive from the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas.
Lake Mead Recreational Area -- Lake Mead National Recreation Area (NRA) provides a wide variety of unique outdoor recreation opportunities ranging from warm-water recreation to exploration of rugged and isolated backcountry. It is located in the southeast corner of Nevada. It is only about 30 miles away from Las Vegas at its closest point, Las Vegas Bay.
Valley of Fire -- Valley of Fire State Park is located only six miles from Lake Mead and 55 miles northeast of Las Vegas.
Hoover Dam - A visit to Hoover Dam should be part of anyone's trip to Las Vegas.
Visit the Weather Channel web site for a seasonal chart.
** More than likely the weather in Las Vegas is going to be VERY different from the weather during the tour. Please check your itinerary for specific weather key words. **
- History of the City of Las Vegas
- Road Biking around Las Vegas and the surrounding area. Las Vegas Cyclery offers rentals and day tours.
- Las Vegas Motor Speedway -- Speedway is about 12 miles north of downtown Las Vegas.
- Other cities close by -
- Henderson -- As Nevada's second largest city, the City of Henderson is recognized as a gateway community into Southern Nevada
Suggested Reading Material
- Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide to Las Vegas
- The Unofficial Guide ® to Las Vegas, by Bob Sehlinger, Deke Castleman, et al.
- Las Vegas Guide, by Larry H. Ludmer, Avery Cardoza
- Las Vegas for Dummies, by Mary Herczog
- Frommer's Las Vegas 2006, by Mary Herczog