Try a twist on your next outdoor adventure with this unique breakfast sandwich.
Grilled halloumi cheese, sweet Hawaiian rolls, a fried egg and spicy mayo come together to make a fantastic quick and easy camping breakfast.
An egg sandwich like this is great for camping because it only uses one cast iron pan and a small mixing bowl. No serving plates required. And when you’re trying to enjoy the great outdoors, the fewer dishes the better – especially in the morning. Give this sandwich to somebody on your next camping trip and we bet they won’t even need a napkin to wipe up the extra sauce.
- 1 large Hawaiian sweet roll, (use the sandwich buns if you can find them)
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil, divided
- 2 oz halloumi cheese, sliced
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha, (more or less depending on your heat preference)
- 1 scallion, sliced or julienned
- salt + pepper, to taste
- Toast the sandwich buns either in your skillet or over a grill. Set aside.
- Heat half the butter or oil in your skillet over medium high heat. Once melted, add the cheese. Fry on each side until golden brown in spots, about 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside. This step could also be done on a grill if you have one going. In that case, skip the butter/oil, and place the cheese directly on the grill.
- Heat the remaining butter or oil over medium heat. Once melted, crack the egg into the skillet. Totally optional step: Once the whites begin to set, you can use a fork to mix up the yolk a bit so that it gets distributed throughout the egg a bit, so there will be yolk in every bite. Cook the egg for about 4 minutes, or until they are cooked to your preferred doneness.
- While the egg is cooking, prep the spicy mayo. In a small bowl (or in a measuring cup), mix together the mayo and the Sriracha.
- To assemble, spread the spicy mayo on each cut surface of the buns. Layer on the grilled halloumi, egg, scallions, and salt & pepper to taste.