Our friends at Fresh Off the Grid structured the recipe to make it as simple as possible, while also using just a single skillet. The first step is to fry up some bacon in your skillet. Doing this will render out the fat, which you will use build the flavor profile of the rest of sandwich. Once the bacon is done, remove from the skillet and place on a paper towel to drain.
The next step is to use the bacon grease to toast your bread slices. Is this healthy? Hell no! Is it delicious, oh yeah! If your bacon rendered A LOT of fat, you might want to reserve some in a cup off to the side so not to completely saturate your bread. While toasting, watch your bread carefully and flip as soon as it starts to toast up. The hot bacon grease really does accelerate the process. Once both sides are toasted, remove and set aside.
Now it’s time to drop in your egg. If you reserved any bacon grease, now’s the time to add it back in. Otherwise, be sure there’s enough oil in the pan so the egg doesn’t stick. While the eggs cooks, you can start working on the avocado.
Cut in half, remove pit, mash-up, and scoop out. Pretty easy. Depending on the size of the avocado, we spread out one half per bread slice. Once the avocado is on, it’s probably time to flip your egg. Once that’s done, we return to the sandwich and sprinkle on our favorite spice blend Everything But the Bagel from Trader Joe’s. Seriously, we can’t say enough good things about it! Then layer up the bacon, bring the egg over and you’re done.
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half
- 2 slices bread
- 1 egg
- 1 avocado
- Salt + pepper
- Optional: pinch of Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- Set a cast iron skillet over your campfire or camp stove. Place the bacon in the skillet and cook over medium-low heat, flipping occasionally, until crispy. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Toast/fry the bread in the skillet, flipping after about a minute so that both sides are browned. Remove and set aside.
- If needed, add a bit more fat to the skillet. Crack an egg into the skillet and cook to your liking.
- To assemble the sandwich, slice the avocado in half, scoop out the middle, and mash it on both slices of bread. Layer the bacon on one side, the egg on the other, and season with salt & pepper.