Chilaquiles is an easy camping breakfast – crispy tortillas simmered in a spicy tomato sauce and topped with a few eggs. It takes less than 30 minutes to make, and it’s vegetarian, too!
Breakfast is a daily routine that camping allows us to see in a different light. When we’re at home, breakfast is often a requisite meal that stands between us and getting out the door on time. But during a camping trip, it becomes less of a routine and more of an occasion for reflection. Out here, breakfast can be slowly and consciously enjoyed, instead of hastily rushed through.
That’s why it’s important to plan a breakfast that’s worth looking forward to, but not so elaborate that you dread making it. Granola is great, but is it really enough to inspire you to leave the comfort of your warm sleeping bag?
For something like this, chilaquiles fits the bill perfectly. Fried tortillas, cheese, and poached eggs all cooked together in a skillet of spicy salsa — this breakfast is simple to make, yet promises to engage your every sense. It’s not a meal that most of us have time to enjoy during the working week, which why it’s a perfect fit for the more relaxed itinerary of a day outdoors.
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas, , cut into wedges
- ½ red onion, , diced
- 2 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1 (7oz) can el Pato sauce, (or 1 cup tomato sauce and a chopped jalapeño)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 – 4 eggs
- cilantro, avocado, diced red onion, grated cheese, fresh lime slices
- Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the tortilla triangles in a single layer and fry for a few minutes until golden brown, flipping once. Remove and set aside on a paper towel to drain. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add the red onions to the remaining oil and saute for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds and then add the tomato sauce, salt, and a splash of water to the skillet. Bring to a simmer, then add the fried tortillas. Stir to coat.
- To cook the eggs, move the tortillas to the outside edges of the skillet to create a well in the center. Drop the eggs into the sauce and cook to your liking–you can scramble them, or cover the skillet and allow them to simply poach in the sauce.
- Serve with the toppings of your choice. Enjoy!