Campfire Mac and Cheese with Potato Chip Topping
Quick, easy, and super cheesy, this Dutch Oven Mac & Cheese is a great way to make this comfort food classic when camping.
Loaded with creamy, buttery, cheesy goodness, mac & cheese can really hit the spot when we’re out camping. Especially when the evening air begins to cool, there’s nothing more satisfying than tucking into a bowl of heart-warming, stomach-filling Mac & Cheese. It’s our happy place.
While you can use any cheese you like, we do recommend grating it yourself if possible. Pre-shredded cheeses are covered in an anti-caking coating, which is best to avoid altogether (and it will impede the cheese’s ability to melt into a creamy sauce). And a golden rule is you want a 2:1 cheese to pasta ratio. If you’re putting 1 cup of pasta in, then it needs 2 cups of freshly grated cheese.
A few other key additions: garlic powder and a little bit of mustard. There is something about this flavor combination that really amplifies the flavor of the mac & cheese and gives it an appealing golden color.
But what really takes this Mac & Cheese to the next level is the crumbled potato chip topping! Not only does it add a little textured crunch, they also allow you to introduce a new set of flavors to the party.
So if you’re in the mood for something cheesy and delicious on your next camping trip, give this Dutch Oven Mac & Cheese a try.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-2 tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 oz bag of your favorite potato chips
- Prepare your coals or campfire.
- Add the elbow macaroni, water, butter, and salt to a 4-qt Dutch oven. Cover and place on top of a small bed of coals or embers. Place 10-15 coals on top of the Dutch oven. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the pasta is tender and most (but not all) of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Carefully remove the Dutch oven from the campfire and set aside the lid.
- Stir in the shredded cheese, mustard, and garlic powder and add more salt if needed.
- Serve in bowls or on a plate, and top with crushed chips. Enjoy!