So if you’re stumped on what to make on your upcoming camping trip or backyard BBQ, relax! This is one of those super-simple, low-stress dinners that everyone is going to love.
We love these grilled cilantro lime
chicken tacos because:
↠ The marinade time is super short (30 minutes)
↠ They have a really bright flavor (thanks, lime!)
↠ Easy to scale up for a group
The easiest way to put some zip into your grilled chicken is by using a citrus-based marinade. It’s light, it’s bright, and it’s ready in less than an hour.
You’ll need the juice and zest of two limes, olive oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, coriander, and salt. You can mix the marinade together ahead of time at home to cut down steps on-site, but do not add the chicken for longer than an hour or two before it’s time to grill (the meat will toughen if left in the acidic marinade too long). At a minimum, marinate the chicken for 30 minutes.
Place the chicken on the grill grate, over direct heat. Try to leave it in position until a light char forms and it naturally “releases” from the grill. Once one side is blackened to your liking, flip, repeat, and then move the thighs to indirect heat to finish cooking. Ideally, until the meat registers 165 F on an instant-read thermometer.
Thinly slice the chicken. If you can identify the grain, slice against it. If not, don’t worry about it. Sprinkle a little bit of salt over the slices.
Cilantro Lime Marinade:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 1 lb
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 limes, juice + zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Prepare the marinade: Mix the oil, lime juice + zest, cilantro, and spices together in a small bowl (this can be done at home). Place the chicken into a tupperware or sealable bag and pour the marinade over, shaking to ensure that the chicken is coated evenly. Marinate for at least 30 minutes (an hour is better), or up to two hours.
- Prepare a grill or campfire for grilling.