A personal pizza in a handy little pocket, these campfire pie iron pizza pockets represent everything we love about camp cooking. They’re quick, easy, and so much fun to make. Crispy crust, melty mozzarella, and any topping your heart desires.
Start by lightly oiling the inside of the pie iron. A silicone brush dabbed in some olive oil works nicely. This will prevent the dough from sticking and gives you a nice golden crust.
Shape a piece of dough into a rough square that’s slightly larger than your pie iron. Pie irons have a concave shape, like a shallow cup, so you’ll need the extra size to run the dough up the sides.
Place the dough on one side of the iron, add the cheese, sauce, toppings, more cheese, and then your top piece of dough. Try your best to tuck the top piece of dough inside your bottom piece. You really want to enclose the entire pocket. Then close the lid and you’re ready to go.
From here on out, the goal is to warm pie iron evenly over medium heat. Not only top and bottom, but also front to back. Depending on how your fire is set up this can be accomplished in a variety of different ways. You might place your pie iron on top of a grill grate over the fire. You might also try to nestle it into some embers. Get creative with it.
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup low-moisture shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 oz can sliced black olives, drained
- 16 slices pepperoni
- Make the dough (can be done ahead of time!): In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, yeast, and salt. Add the oil and water. Using a spoon or fork, mix the ingredients until a dough forms. Add additional flour if it seems too wet, then knead until a ball forms. Cover and let rise 20 minutes. *Alternatively, use pre-made dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Working with two pieces at a time, stretch and flatten the dough into roughly 4 ½ x 4 ½ inch squares.
- Oil the pie iron and press one square of dough into the bottom plate. Load up your ingredients: 2 tablespoons of sauce followed by the ¼ cup cheese, ¼ of the bell pepper, 1 oz olives, and 4 pepperonis. Top with a second square of dough. Close & lock the pie iron.
- Cook over the fire or on top of your campfire embers until the crust is golden brown, flipping as needed to ensure even heat. Exact timing will be variable depending on your campfire intensity, but generally, this will only take 2-3 minutes. Check often!
- Remove from the heat, then carefully unlock the pie iron and turn the pizza pocket out.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Be mindful that the iron will be HOT when prepping subsequent pizza pockets. Wait until the iron has cooled, or take extreme care when reloading the iron.